Knowledgeable Colorado DUI/DWAI Attorney Protects Drivers’ Rights
Skilled defense counsel serves the Grand Junction and Durango areas
A conviction in Colorado for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can have serious consequences, including the loss of your license, higher insurance costs, heavy fines and jail time. Robert S. McCormick, Attorney at Law has the knowledge necessary to overcome the evidence against you, and the ability to help you attain the best possible outcome. From offices in Grand Junction and Durango, I challenge evidence introduced by prosecutors and counter unsupported allegations brought against my clients.
Colorado DUI/DWAI laws and penalties
In Colorado, impaired driving offenses fall into two main categories:
- Driving under the influence — This standard DUI or drunk driving charge is filed when a driver has a blood alcohol level above the legal limit of 0.08 percent. This is known as DUI per se. However, a person can be charged with DUI for a lesser level of alcohol, drugs, or a combination of drugs and alcohol, if substantial impairment prevents the driver from operating the vehicle safely.
- Driving while ability impaired — This lesser offense is charged when a driver’s BAC is greater than 0.05 percent but less than 0.08 percent. DWAI can also be charged when drugs have caused impairment.
Under Colorado law, the penalties for these offenses are as follows:
- First offense DUI — Five days to one year in jail, a fine of $600 to $1,000, license revocation of nine months, installation of ignition interlock device for eight months, and 48 to 96 hours of community service.
- First offense DWAI — Two days to 180 days in jail, a fine of $200 to $500, and 24 to 48 hours of community service.
- Second offense DUI/DWAI — 10 days to one year in jail, a fine of $600 to $1,500, license revocation of one year, installation of ignition interlock device for two to five years, and 48 to 120 hours of community service.
Punishment for subsequent offenses is even harsher. These are serious charges and severe penalties that can derail your life. It’s important to retain a qualified defense attorney who can fight for the best possible outcome.
Advocate committed to challenging drunk driving charges
Anyone can make a mistake or be caught in an unfair situation. I strive to satisfy my clients’ emotional, financial and legal needs by zealously representing their interests at every turn. If you’ve been charged with drunk driving, possible defenses might involve:
- The legality of the traffic stop
- The validity of the chemical testing
- Probable cause for your arrest
I understand Colorado DUI laws and will analyze every aspect of your case, including the initial stop and Breathalyzer test, to build your defense. Wherever warranted, I can challenge the evidence against you with the skill I have developed through real-world experience. My firm works hard to make sure that you get the respect you deserve and presses for a favorable result.
What to do if you are stopped on suspicion of DUI/DWAI
If you have been pulled over by the police, there are several ways that you can help yourself:
- Remain calm — If you are nervous, police officers may think that you are hiding something or are intoxicated. Don’t give them that opportunity. Remaining calm and being polite are good ways to keep the situation from getting out of control.
- Clean out your glove box — Fumbling through your car to find registration or insurance can be easily misinterpreted as intoxication. Keeping the glove box or center console neat and clean allows you to swiftly grab your identification and present it to a police officer.
- Do not let the police search your car — Any evidence found in your car could be used to support a DUI conviction. Do not allow the officer to perform a search without a warrant.
- Get a blood test after release — Alcohol detection devices can be unreliable and malfunction. Don’t go to jail because of a broken machine. It’s a good idea to measure your BAC (blood alcohol concentration) with a blood test after arrest. At trial, your attorney can use that evidence to raise possible defenses.
The best way to safeguard your fundamental rights once you’ve been arrested is to contact a qualified criminal defense attorney immediately.
Contact a reputable DUI/DWAI defense attorney serving Grand Junction and Durango
Robert S. McCormick, Attorney at Law represents Colorado clients accused of drunk or drug-impaired driving. Call today at 833-880-7192 or contact me online to set up a free initial consultation. My offices are in Grand Junction and Durango.